As some of you may be aware, Fidens Partners has been a strong supporter of Bravehearts, a national agency that specialises in dealing with all facets of child sexual assault. Among a few donations and fundraisings last year, I participated as Bravehearts’ Gold Bib runner at the City2Surf. Yes, this year event is around the corner (11 Aug 2013).
To me, it is a gruelling 14km run as I really dislike running, especially anything over 50 metres. But, I thought…what is a few sweat, sore legs and a potential heart attack if I could help make Australia the safest place to raise our children. So, I signed up again this year.
Last year, I did it in 89mins. This year, I aim to beat it by 5 mins and have already started training. Here is my training plan http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/15K%20Training%20Program.pdf. I am currently on Week 13 and as you can see, the training is not a walk in the park, but a lot of pounding on my old bones.
So, here is how you can help:
- Dig Deep – My fundraising goal is $5,000. This would help roll out Ditto education program to more daycare centres and schools. Here is my fundraising page. Please get on it and contribute generously. http://www.fundraise.city2surf.com.au/Wallace_Fan728
- Raise Awareness in your Community – Please visit http://www.bravehearts.org.au/. Statistics show one in five children will be sexually assaulted before they reach the age of 18, that’s 59,000 children each year and more than 1000 a week. Bravehearts aims to half these numbers by 2020. It is only through increasing awareness, preventative strategies and education that we can collectively reduce the incidence of this insidious crime.
- Talk to your Children – the most efficient way is to “Educate, Empower, and Protect” children. Those who live in the inner west area would agree that recent incidents at Haberfield and Leichhardt primary school and the dance school in Chiswick further reinforce the importance of continuous open discussions with our children on the topic of child sexual assault.
To make your donations interesting…
In addition to putting my legs to 14km, I will also put up my own donation based on your responses to my pledge.
- As you can see in this email, there are 4 links. I will donate $1 for each person visiting all four sites. Here is the fourth link: http://fidenspartners.com.au/index.php/2013/06/social-responsibility/; and
- For every generous donations over $50, I will again donate another $1.
I will summarise the results before the end of July and make a lump sum donation.
To make it even more interesting…
For the extra generous donors (ie, over $300), you earn the right to suggest any funky running outfit ideas which I will gladly entertain. It nevertheless needs to be reasonable, in good taste and not impeding on my potential to complete in 84mins.
I sincerely thank you for your support. Together, we will make Australia the safest place to raise our children.